It was built by the Venetians in the northwestern part of the port of Chania to protect the harbor entrance. It was the headquarters of the Military Governor of the city and inside there were a number of auxiliary buildings. During the Ottoman rule Firkas was used as barracks and prison, while on December 1, 1913, on its corner tower was raised the flag of the Union of Crete with Greece.

SOURCE: CHANIA MUNICIPALITY LIBRARY

Firkas