The Monastery of Gouverneto, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is located close to the Trinity, in the mountains of Akrotiri. It was built between 1537 and 1548, it flourished during the late Venetian period and suffered several disasters during the period of Ottoman rule. On the north of the monastery there is a large number of hermitages, the cave of St. John the Hermit and the famous "Catholic."

SOURCE: CHANIA MUNICIPALITY LIBRARY

The Monastery of Gouverneto