Patron saint of Chania, the church of the Virgin Mary was built on the site of an older church of the Virgin of the 14th century. In 1645 it was converted into a soap making workshop in 1868 and was assigned to the Orthodox. It is a three-transept basilica with the central transept dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the north to Agios Nikolaos and the south to the Three Hierarchs.

SOURCE: CHANIA MUNICIPALITY LIBRARY

The CATHEDRAL-Trimartiri