The Public Market, built on the remains of Piatta Forma Bastion, is the symbol of the city of Chania. During the Cretan State the need of integration of the old and new city led to the demolition of the Piatta Forma Bastion. The demolition was decided in 1903 and began in 1908. The construction of the market started in 1911 and was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos on December 4, 1913.
It is a cruciform building with 76 stores internally arranged in groups of four sides.
SOURCE: CHANIA MUNICIPALITY LIBRARY